Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The One where Enough is Enough

I'm still fuming with the piece of shit movie I watched on the first day of the year (read previous post), so what better way to alleviate my disgust than to watch one of the best love stories of all time, Victor Fleming’s Gone With The Wind. I allotted four hours of my precious rest time to rewatch this classic tale of love and loss (tsk tsk, I have too much time on my hands haha). It never ceases to amaze me how they could’ve made such a grand, stunningly magnificent film in the 30s.

There’s a sequence in the film that I particularly love, one which I consider to be one of the most kickass scenes in film history. In fact, the last line uttered was voted as top movie quote in AFI'S List of 100 Greatest Movie Quotes of All Time. No gravity-defying, gut-wrenching, "Matrix"-like stunts are made; not even one finger is lifted by any of the characters. But by the end of the scene, it gave a whole new meaning to what Edward Bulwer-Lytton wrote in 1839: "The pen is mightier than the sword."

To give you a brief background, Scarlett (Vivien Leigh) married Rhett (Clark Gable) but didn’t really love him because she was in love with another man named Ashley. After years of futility of trying to prove his love to Scarlett (and the tragic death of their daughter Bonnie), Rhett is finally fed up and decides to leave his wife. It’s only then that Scarlett realizes that she loved Rhett all along. The following conversation ensues:

* * * * *

Scarlett: What are you doing?
Rhett: I'm leaving you, my dear. All you need now is a divorce and your dreams of Ashley can come true.
Scarlett:
Oh, no! No, you're wrong, terribly wrong! I don't want a divorce. Oh Rhett, but I knew tonight, when I ... when I knew I loved you, I ran home to tell you, oh darling, darling!
Rhett: Please don't go on with this. Leave us some dignity to remember out of our marriage. Spare us this last.
Scarlett: This last? Oh Rhett, do listen to me, I must have loved you for years, only I was such a stupid fool, I didn't know it. Please believe me, you must care! Melly said you did.
Rhett: I believe you. What about Ashley Wilkes?
Scarlett: I ... I never really loved Ashley.
Rhett: You certainly gave a good imitation of it, up till this morning. No Scarlett, I tried everything. If you'd only met me half way, even when I came back from London.
Scarlett: I was so glad to see you. I was, Rhett, but you were so nasty.
Rhett: And then when you were sick, it was all my fault ... I hoped against hope that you'd call for me, but you didn't.
Scarlett: I wanted you. I wanted you desperately but I didn't think you wanted me.
Rhett: It seems we've been at cross purposes, doesn't it? But it's no use now. As long as there was Bonnie, there was a chance that we might be happy. I liked to think that Bonnie was you, a little girl again, before the war, and poverty had done things to you. She was so like you, and I could pet her, and spoil her, as I wanted to spoil you. But when she went, she took everything.
Scarlett: Oh, Rhett, Rhett please don't say that. I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry for everything.
Rhett: My darling, you're such a child. You think that by saying, "I'm sorry," all the past can be corrected. Here, take my handkerchief. Never, at any crisis of your life, have I known you to have a handkerchief.
Scarlett: Rhett! Rhett, where are you going?
Rhett: I'm going back to Charleston, back where I belong.
Scarlett: Please, please take me with you!
Rhett: No, I'm through with everything here. I want peace. I want to see if somewhere there isn't something left in life of charm and grace. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Scarlett: No! I only know that I love you.
Rhett: That's your misfortune.
[Rhett turns to walk down the stairs]
Scarlett: Oh, Rhett!
[Scarlett watches Rhett walk to the door]
Scarlett: Rhett!
[runs down the stairs after Rhett]
Scarlett: Rhett, Rhett! Rhett, Rhett... Rhett, if you go, where shall I go? What shall I do?
Rhett: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

* * * * *

Asteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg! Akala mo huh. Take that, beeeyaaatch! :p

(Many thanks to Wikipedia for the shameless content-lifting.)

2 Comments:

Blogger ... beachfreak said...

I love that movie, too. And that scene, absolutely kicked ass! Haha!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you said it yourself, "you don't want to stay for the wrong reasons" - guess you have to find the right reason.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home