Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The One with the Undeserving Old Fart

I knew it.

I knew that I didn’t have the resolve to update my blog as often as I like. Tamad talaga ako hehehe.

* * * *

This year’s Golden Globes concluded yesterday, given out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. I don’t know why it’s considered the best precursor to the Oscars. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has almost 6,000 members, most of which are actors, directors, screenwriters, and film crew whereas the HFPA is only composed of 90 foreign press members. Medyo malayo, no? I would think that the various guilds ( Directors Guild , Writers Guild, and the Screen Actors Guild) would be better indicators for the Oscars.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the Globes...

Yay!

1. Desperate Housewives and Teri Hatcher. I’m still pissed Eva Longoria’s the only housewife not nominated in the Lead Actress/Comedy category. I guess it’s because there are only 5 nominations; Sarah Jessica Parker and Debra Messing already have 2 slots locked up, so not all housewives could be accommodated. Too bad it was Eva who got bumped off. Anyway, okay na rin kasi "Desperate Housewives" pa rin ang nanalo. Many expected "Arrested Development" to win (an equally hilarious show in itself), but Hollywood loves underdogs. DH is a true underdog story; all the networks turned it down until ABC took a chance on it. Hey, at least Jason Batemen won for Best Actor in a Comedy Series for "Arrested". And I loved Teri Hatcher's speech, probably the most honest one of the night. She thanked ABC "for giving me a second chance at a career when I couldn't have been a bigger has-been." Aminin ba raw na laos na siya hahahahaha.

Speaking of Eva Longoria...



Daaaaaymmmmmmnnnnnn she’s H-O-T! :p

2. Closer Upsets. Natalie Portman and Clive Owen both scored upsets against Cate Blanchett ("The Aviator") and Morgan Freeman ("Million Dollar Baby"). I didn’t think both had chances against the two vets, so I’m delighted that they scored big. I loved "Closer" (read review here), so any award it manages to win will get a hooooray! from me. I believe Blanchett and Freeman will still win come Oscar night though.

3. Marty Scores. He didn't win for Directing, but at least "The Aviator" won for Best Movie/Drama. Although I would have loved it if either "Finding Neverland" (read review here), or "Hotel Rwanda" (read review here) had won, but "The Aviator" has the best chance to beat out Clint Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby". The latter is a good boxing movie, but I can't see what the hype is all about. Nothing special about it, imho. I hope this will be Scorsese's year at the Oscars, the man clearly deserves to get one.

4. Jamie Foxx and his speech. One thing I like about the Globes is that it's much more relaxed and laid back compared to the Oscars. Eh nagpapaka-lasing na nga yung mga tao eh lol. There isn't a shadow of doubt that Foxx will win the Oscar; the only thing that's worth anticipating is what he'll say in his speech. If his speech at the Globes is any indication, mukhang masaya 'to, ala-Cuba Gooding Jr. circa '97.

* * * * *

Commercial break muna!



Meet Emmy Rossum, ang bago kong fling. Ang magsasabi na kamukha niya si Angelica Jones, papatayin ko.

* * * * *

Nay!

1. Empty Hotel. "Hotel Rwanda" came home empty-handed. I was hoping it could pull off at least one upset for Best Movie/Drama, Lead Actor/Drama, or even in the Original Song category. With these losses, looks like they've lost their chance to nab a Best Picture nom at the Oscars. Too bad, because I firmly believe it to be the best film of 2004.

2. Lost lost. Coincidence? Hehehe. Seriously, the nominations and subsequent winners in the television/drama categories this year were really, really from left field. Haven't watched "Nip/Tuck" nor "Deadwood", but I'm still convinced there were a lot of snubs this year. One look at the noms will tell you a LOT of good shows and performances were snubbed (No Keifer Sutherland? No James Gandolfini?) Nakakatakot pa yung itsura nung nanalo for Lead Actor/Drama, kamukha ni Max Alvrado. :p

"Lost" losing is especially a hard pill to swallow. I'm sure "Nip/Tuck" viewers will disagree with me, but there is no show more deserving to win than "Lost". Who would've thought that a group of people stranded on an island would make for such interesting television? Heck, if a film had the same plot, it would be hard to keep it interesting for two hours, let alone keep the storyline fresh and interesting week after week after week. Unlike "CSI", "Law and Order", or "The Sopranos" where each week's episode is a variation of the same formula, "Lost" is more character-driven, and its subplots rich with various themes and complex characters. For that, I believe it's the best drama on television today.

3. Million Dollar Baby cashing in. This is one overrated baby, I tell you. I didn't see anything special about the movie. Here's the dish: Reluctant Gym Owner (Clint Eastwood) trains Female Boxer (Hillary Swank) after much egging from Washed Up Boxer cum Assistant (Morgan Freeman). Female Boxer wins a couple of matches, and convinces Reluctant Gym Owner to set up a title bout for her. [spoiler start]Dirty Champion Boxer gives Female Boxer a cheap shot, leaving her paralyzed from the neck down. Reluctant Gym Owner is guilt-ridden, blaming Washed Up Boxer cum Assistant for egging him to train Female Boxer. In the end, Reluctant Gym Owner commits euthanasia, and puts off the lights on Female Boxer. [spoiler end] Maybe it's just me, but I didn't feel any attachment to the characters; I could care less what happened to them. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either like the pundits say it is.

Unlike her performance in "Boys Dont Cry", I don't feel Swank did anything incredible to make her the favorite to win her second Oscar. Were the actresses in Hollywood this awful in 2004, that they'll give an Oscar to someone who did "Next Karate Kid" and "The Core", and leave someone like Cate Blanchett gold-less? I sure wish Swank will learn from this and stay clear of disastrous films aforementioned.

On to Clint Eastwood. So he wrote the screenplay. So he composed the music. So he produced and directed the film. So friggin' what? Does that automatically make him the best just because he did all the work? The way I see it, he's a penny-pinching, tightfisted oldie who wants to take advantage of being an "icon" in the industry to get as many awards as he can. The same can be said of last year's "Mystic River". Di naman ako galit eh no. I just don't get what the fuss is all about this Eastwood dude. :p

* * * * *

So there are my rants and raves on the Globes. Masyado na yata akong showbiz. On a more man-ly note, San Miguel won its fourth straight game, clinching a semis spot against Ginebra. Wasn't able to watch the game, but what the heck, they're finally playing like the well-oiled machine that they should be. Si Danny Seigle pa ang Player of the Week. Woooot!



* * * * *

The new PinoyExchange was unveiled the other day. vBulletin was updated to the latest version (I think), layout's been overhauled. One thing I liked about the old layout was it looked simple, professional, and elegant. Parang masyadong malalaki yung font ngayon, especially the username in each post. I feel it's a different site altogether, I guess I just need a bit of time to get used to it. Not that I'm complaining. :p

* * * * *

Parting shot.



Yum. :p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home