Saturday, January 08, 2005

The One with All the Awards

...and I don't mean the Metro Manila Filmfest. Don't get me wrong, I do watch Filipino movies. Pili nga lang. Piling pili. In 2004 alone, I can count the number of Pinoy films that I watched with only one hand.

It's January, and the first major award-giving body is the Golden Globe Awards handed out by the Hollywood Foreign Press. I dunno, but I've always been drawn to these events, eventhough I have very little to do with showbiz. Frustrated actor/writer/director siguro; I've always wanted to act/write/direct even when I was in grade school. I remember when there were class plays or presentations, I always wanted to be the bida, so to speak.

* * * * *

Grade Six. Each section of the batch had to create an original suspense/thriller play, and perform it onstage within a month. It was a fimfest of some sort, complete with all the awards and shit. The director of our class' play was my grade school crush, so nag-volunteer naman ako para magpa-impress. To cut a long story short, I co-wrote the script, and played the male lead. Talk about versatility! I think I should be working in Hollywood.

Anyway, I was pretty happy with how the script turned out. Unlike the other classes who produced bland and unoriginal ghost stories, ours was different. In our suspense/thriller, the geeky male lead falls for a pretty co-worker (who was played by my kindergarten crush). He confesses his affection to her, but gets embarrassed at the office party by her prick of a boyfriend and snobbish girl friends. In retaliation, he transforms himself into a gorgeous brunette, dressing as a woman to get into the female lead’s circle of friends. The male-cum-female lead entices the women into a false sense of friendship, and kills them one-by-one until only two are left on his list: the female lead and her prick of a boyfriend. In retrospect, the story is kinda lame, but compared to the man-killed-in-house, soul-haunts-house crap that others had…’twas pretty good for a coupla sixth graders.

We only won third place. I’d like to think our production was ahead of its time that’s why it wasn’t appreciated much by the jurors. My shining moment as the male lead was when my character was alone in his room after just being embarrassed at office party, heart-broken and angry at the same time. He thrashes the room intensely, and vows to never to let himself be hurt again. He promises to be the one who will cause the pain, as he strips his manly belongings and starts the makeover into a woman. The result: my very first acting award. That’s right, I won the award for Best Actor.

Hollywood, here I come! :p



* * * * *

In line with the awards season, I will post as much film reviews as I can make. I used to post reviews in PEx for the films that I watch, until I was too tamad to make 'em. Now that I have a blog of my own, I've decided to revive the old habbit. Let's just hope the MPAA won't hunt me down for downloading movies off the net. :p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home